20.11.08

For One More Day by Mitch Albom


“NOW, WHEN I SAY I SAW MY DEAD MOTHER, I mean just that. I saw her. She was standing by the dugout, wearing a lavender jacket, holding her pocketbook. She didn't say a word. She just looked at me. Something melted inside of me, as if her face gave off heat. It went down my back. It went to my ankles. And then something broke, I almost heard the snap, the barrier between belief and disbelief. I gave in. Off the planet. "Charley?" she said. "What's wrong?" I did what you would have done. I hugged my mother as if I'd never let her go.”


Mitch Albom’s ‘For One More Day’ is a ghost story. It traces you back to the person who died a few years ago – yourself. Albom takes your hand and walks you towards the bright light you have always pretended never existed. The bright light that takes you to old memories and forgotten relationships. The book leaves you heaving with sighs of the ‘could-haves and should-haves’.

While the book narrates the story of Charley, who has been outcaste by his loved ones as consequences of his own actions and attitudes, it also takes you through the lives of his mother and father with the same depth. After being dejected by his world, he turns to another. The unknown. And wishes he could have one more day with his mother. He is granted the wish by his own thoughts.

There are moments of awe and moments of anger. You judge the protagonist with your cynical tone and sometimes you can’t help but sympathize. Albom describes some experiences, which will make you feel the hair stand up on the back of your neck. Albom mesmerizes you with tantalizing details and tickles with the hushes of a few lines. The beginning will make you want to dig deeper while the end will make you want to go back to it.

And you would wish that the book lasted, for one more day. And more.

No comments: